Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I Invited a Dragon to Dinner and Other Poems to Make You Laugh Out Loud

I Invited a Dragon to Dinner and Other Poems to Make You Laugh Out Loud illustrated by Chris L DeMarest is a great picture book of collected poems written by people who were contestants in a nationwide contest to find the best new writers of verse for children. These poems, I thought were funny, and I think that students would too. The collection of poems is geared towards children ages 3-7 but I think that older students could read them too and get something of meaning out of them. I think that these poems could be read in a classroom as a read aloud, when discussing poetry or different kinds of writing, or even when trying to show reading for meaning to students.
One poem I really enjoyed was entitled “Time Out” by Wendi Silvano.
The shoe I hit my sister with was rubbery and soft.
And the chewed-up crackers on the floor went spraying when I coughed.
I know t he couch is smelly, but that’s just the way with trout.
Could someone please explain to me… why am I in time out?
There’s good reason why the kitchen wall is splattered with red paint.
And why the blender’s broken…I cant always be a saint.
And if you’ll let me I’ll explain what this hole is all about.
But could someone please explain to me… why am I in time out?
I did put glue in Father’s show, but try to understand.
The project I was working on was something truly grand.
And midnight’s not so bad an hour to scream and yell and shout.
Could someone please explain to me…why am I in time out/
So I shared Mom’s hairbrush with the dog. Isn't sharing good?
And I cut Dads tie down to his size just as any good kid would.
I try to be the best I can, but it never does work out.
Could someone PLEASE explain to me…why am I in time out?


I think all of the poems throughout this book are well written and really good. I think that they could be read in a class to also help explain things to kids, for example maybe discuss why the things this kid did throughout this poem caused him to be in time out.
I enjoyed the pictures drawn throughout the book because they help explain the poems in more detail in a visual way and I think that helps kids learn and get more meaning out of their reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment